|Posted by Dash on January 25, 2015 at 10:10 AM||comments (0)|
In an update to Thursday's post, Ben Dickinson has taken an indefinite leave of absence from the men's basketball team for personal reasons. This is according to UNCG and was also reported during the radio broadcast onThursday night. No word on the Verbal Commits post that he is transferring.
|Posted by Dash on January 22, 2015 at 3:00 PM||comments (0)|
According to Verbal Commits and several unconfirmed rumors, junior forward Ben Dickinson has informed the UNCG coaching staff that he plans to transfer out of the program. This is still just a rumor as there has been no official word from UNCG. I will update as I get more information.
Dickinson (6'9" F/Alexandria, VA) is in his first season with the program after spending the last 2 season at Loyola Marymount. He has played in all 19 games and is currently averaging 2.3 points and 2.3 rebounds per game in 10.5 minutes. Dickinson began his career with Binghamton before leaving there after his freshman season due to a coaching change.
The Spartans will face Samford tonight at 8 (EST). The game will be carried live on SoConDigitalnetwork.com.
|Posted by Dash on December 12, 2014 at 11:25 AM||comments (0)|
I think almost everyone I talk to has noticed Nik Brown's absense from the UNCG basketball team. The athletics department released this statement today ...
UNCG men’s basketball junior guard Nik Brown (Washington, D.C./Brunswick CC) has left the program for medical reasons and is no longer enrolled at the school, head coach Wes Miller announced Friday. Brown has sat out all nine games this year due to medical reasons after transferring in from Brunswick Community College.
|Posted by Dash on July 27, 2014 at 9:50 PM||comments (2)|
Later this week I plan to get post some up-to-date info on 2015 scholarship offers and recruiting. But for now let's go over where we're at with the up coming season's roser.
- Returning players ... RJ White (R-So), Nicholas Paulos (Sr), Kayel Locke (Jr), Diante Baldwin (So), Clay Byrd (So), Jamal Mitchell (R-Sr), Jordy Kuiper (So), Asad Lamot (R-Jr)
- All-conference F/C Kyle Cain (15.4 pts, 8.9 rebs) decided to forego his senior season and play professionally.
- Jordan Potts (6.6 pts) is transferring to Bethune-Cookman. Tyrone Outlaw (5.4 pts) is transferring to Lee College (JUCO) in Texas. Allen Baez (redshirt in 2013-2014) has signed a NLI to attend Santa Fe College (JUCO) in Florida.
- SoCon freshman of the year Tevon Saddler (12.5 pts, 2.9 assists) announced he was transferring and took visits to Temple and Bulter among other places. However, he decided to re-commit back to UNCG and is returning for his sophomore season.
- The third member of the fall signing class didn't actually sign. DC area forward Quadree Smith committed but then re-opened his commitment and trimmed UNCG from his list. He even went as far as to bad mouth the UNCG fan forum on Twitter (which has now been deleted).
- This spring, Marvin Smith Jr signed his NLI to play at UNCG. The Richmond, Virginia native spent this past season prepping at Fork Union Military Academy playing with an allstar cast of D1 talent.
- Also this spring, Fishburn Military Academy sharpshooter Garrett Collins committed to play in Greensboro. Collins shot 58% from behind the arc this past season as he helped his team into the National Prep Championship Tournament.
- UNCG added Loyola Marymount transfer Ben Dickinson(8.5 pts 3.6 rebs in 19 games). Dickinson is 6'-9" forward that originally started his career with Binghamton (13.5 pts, 6.1 rebs) but left after a coaching change. Since Dickinson only played in 19 games last season, it's not apparent whether he will be forced to sit out this season or if he'll be eligible.
- Brunswick CC guard Nik Brown will join the Spartans this season. Brown only appeared in 5 games this past year before suffering an injury. Brown started his college career at Longwood where he started 17 games and averaged 9.7 points and 3.6 assists his freshman season.
So that's where the roster is right now. Losing Kyle Cain definitely hurts, but retaining Tevon Saddler helps. RJ White will need to continue the play he showed at the end of the season and Clay Byrd & Jordy Kuiper will need to take big steps forward this off season. If the new incoming players can step up to fill voids, this season could go well. I'm cautiously optimistic. Guess we'll see in a few months.