|Posted by Dash on October 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM||comments (0)|
The last part of my fall series is focusing on UNCG women's soccer team. The Spartans have been a quite a tear. However, on Sunday Samford put an end to UNCG's 7 game undefeated streak with a 1-0 victory at UNCG Soccer Stadium. The Bulldogs quickly countered UNCG's best chance at a goal with one of their own and found the back of the net with a little less than 15 minutes remaining. The contest was played in a drizzle.
On Friday night, the spartans crushed the visiting Mocs from UTC 9-0. Chesney White had 3 goals and Katelyn Mountjoy had a goal and 3 assists. For the season, White leads the team with 13 goals and is tied with Georgia Brown for a team best 4 assists.
UNCG will hit the road for games at Western Carolina (10/17) and ETSU (10/19) this coming weekend. They then return home to finish the season with Furman (10/24) and Wofford (10/26).
Current SoCon Standings
1. Mercer (4-0-2)
2. Samford (4-1)
3. ETSU (4-2)
4. UNCG (3-1-1)
5. Western Carolina (3-2-1)
6. Furman (2-1-2)
7. VMI (2-3)
8. Wofford (1-4)
9. Citadel (1-5)
10 Chattanooga (0-5)
|Posted by Dash on September 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM||comments (0)|
This past weekend marked the start of conference play for UNCG's fall sports. Let's take a look at how things went for the teams.
- The Women's soccer team went undefeated in a pair of road games to start the season. On Friday the team earned a 1-1 draw at Mercer. On Sunday and Spartans scored 4 second half goals to cruise past the Citadel in Charleston. Sunday's victory now puts UNCG above the 0.500 mark for the season at 5-4-3 (1-0-1 SoCon). Chesney White is the current SoCon women's soccer Player of the Week.
- The UNCG volleyball team went 2-0 this past weekend only dropping 1 set in road wins at Western Carolina and Mercer. The victories raise UNCG's record to 9-5 (2-0 SoCon) for the season. The team will continue it's 4 game road swing with matches at ETSU and Furman this coming weekend. UNCG will be hosting this year's SoCon volleyball tournament.
By the way, I'm not sure how many of you are taking advantage of watching these other sports on the SoCon Digital Network, but it's a wonderful (and free) platform. As I had been one of the people begging for this service, I highly advise everyone to check it out. Until next time ... Go Spartans !!!
|Posted by Dash on September 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM||comments (2)|
Better late than never for this weekend's recap. Let's get to it.
- The Spartan volleyball had another 2-1 weekend at the Liberty Tournament. They defeated USC-Upstate on Friday and Howard on Saturday. They had the host Flames down 2 sets to none before falling in 5 sets. The team will co-host a tournament this weekend with cross town rival NC A&T.
- The men's soccer team continued their slide, falling to James Madison 1-0. Defense again was the sore spot for the Spartans. The team will host #20 Charlotte tomorrow at 7 pm. There will be live video of the game.
- The women's team went 0-1-1 this past weekend. They earned a 2-2 draw with Indiana State on Friday. Chesney White scored both goals. On Sunday #13 West Virginia out shot UNCG 30-0 and won the contest 2-0. With their record sitting at 2-3-1 for the season, UNCG will host ECU and NC State this coming weekend. We'll have more about that on Friday.
I'm still trying to figure out what to make of the men's basketball staff news this week. I'm hoping to find out more in the coming days. Until then, have a great week.
|Posted by Dash on September 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM||comments (0)|
Friday Preview - September 5, 2014
I took a week off of previewing due to the holiday last weekend. Now let's get back on it. Here's what's going on with the Spartans in the next few days.
- After scoring the game winning goal against Liberty and assisting on the game winning goal to defeat Liberty, women's soccer player Chesney White was named SoCon Student Athlete of the Week yesterday. She also has a 3.83 GPA. To someone like myself who's GPA barely crossed over the "just good enough for a degree" threshold, that's very impressive. Congrats.
Speaking of women's soccer, the team will be in Morgantown, West (by god) Virginia this weekend for a tournament. They will play Indiana State (1-2-1) tonight at 5 pm and #21 West Virginia (2-2) Sunday at 5 pm. UNCG comes in sporting a 2-2 record after picking up 2 wins last week over Liberty and Army.
- On Monday night, the men's soccer team lost in double overtime 2-1 at UNCW. The game featured 8 yellow cards (4 each side) and a lot of physical play. That should be expected in #therivalry. Never fear, Spartan fans. There'll be many more chances to beat the Seahawks in other sports this season.
The loss dropped the Spartans to 0-2 for the season. They are back at home tonight against the 0-2 James Madison Dukes. The game will have live video on either UNCGSpartans.com or the new SoCon Digital Network.
- UNCG's volleyball team will be back in action as they travel to Lynchburg, Virginia for the Liberty Tournament. They will take on USC-Upstate today and Howard and Liberty tomorrow. The Liberty game will have live video on the Big South Network. So far UNCG is 2-1 on the season after last weekend's tournament in Charlotte. The Spartans defeated Sacramento State and Morgan State, but lost to Charlotte.
That's all I've got for today. I've been working on some new stuff for the site that I hope to get unveiled in the next week. Plus, I hope to get all the new schedules posted this weekend. Keep checking back. Thanks.