|Posted by Dash on November 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM||comments (0)|
Lost in all of this coverage of basketball season starting, is the fact the UNCG will be hosting the men's soccer tournament starting today. Furman and Wofford will play the first game at 5. UNCG will play the #1 seed Mercer at 7:30 (based on the other game ending in regulation).
Last Saturday, UNCG beat ETSU in 2OT to advance to tonight's game. The championship will be on Saturday. Both games tongiht will eb carried on the SoCon Digital Network.
|Posted by Dash on October 13, 2014 at 8:00 AM||comments (0)|
Part two of my fall sports series will focus on the UNCG men's soccer team. Wow. What a differnce it has made for UNCG to start conference play and really restart it's season. After struggling their way to a 0-7-1 non-conference record that saw the team beat down with injuries, the Spartans have really rebounded.
On Saturday night, UNCG defeated newcomer ETSU 2-0. It was the Spartans second win in its last three matches. The Spartans also played the #22 ranked Furman Paladins to a 0-0 tie on September 30. With only 6 teams playing in the SoCon this season, UNCG finds itself in a very nice position for the second half of the season. Also, let's not forget that the conference tournament will be played at UNCG Soccer Stadium. The Spartans will travel to VMI on Tuesday afternoon to continue conference play.
Current SoCon Standings
1. Mercer (4-0)
2. Wofford (3-1)
3. UNCG (2-1-1)
4. Furman (1-2-1)
5. ETSU (1-3)
6. VMI (0-4)
|Posted by Dash on September 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM||comments (2)|
Better late than never for this weekend's recap. Let's get to it.
- The Spartan volleyball had another 2-1 weekend at the Liberty Tournament. They defeated USC-Upstate on Friday and Howard on Saturday. They had the host Flames down 2 sets to none before falling in 5 sets. The team will co-host a tournament this weekend with cross town rival NC A&T.
- The men's soccer team continued their slide, falling to James Madison 1-0. Defense again was the sore spot for the Spartans. The team will host #20 Charlotte tomorrow at 7 pm. There will be live video of the game.
- The women's team went 0-1-1 this past weekend. They earned a 2-2 draw with Indiana State on Friday. Chesney White scored both goals. On Sunday #13 West Virginia out shot UNCG 30-0 and won the contest 2-0. With their record sitting at 2-3-1 for the season, UNCG will host ECU and NC State this coming weekend. We'll have more about that on Friday.
I'm still trying to figure out what to make of the men's basketball staff news this week. I'm hoping to find out more in the coming days. Until then, have a great week.
|Posted by Dash on September 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM||comments (0)|
Friday Preview - September 5, 2014
I took a week off of previewing due to the holiday last weekend. Now let's get back on it. Here's what's going on with the Spartans in the next few days.
- After scoring the game winning goal against Liberty and assisting on the game winning goal to defeat Liberty, women's soccer player Chesney White was named SoCon Student Athlete of the Week yesterday. She also has a 3.83 GPA. To someone like myself who's GPA barely crossed over the "just good enough for a degree" threshold, that's very impressive. Congrats.
Speaking of women's soccer, the team will be in Morgantown, West (by god) Virginia this weekend for a tournament. They will play Indiana State (1-2-1) tonight at 5 pm and #21 West Virginia (2-2) Sunday at 5 pm. UNCG comes in sporting a 2-2 record after picking up 2 wins last week over Liberty and Army.
- On Monday night, the men's soccer team lost in double overtime 2-1 at UNCW. The game featured 8 yellow cards (4 each side) and a lot of physical play. That should be expected in #therivalry. Never fear, Spartan fans. There'll be many more chances to beat the Seahawks in other sports this season.
The loss dropped the Spartans to 0-2 for the season. They are back at home tonight against the 0-2 James Madison Dukes. The game will have live video on either UNCGSpartans.com or the new SoCon Digital Network.
- UNCG's volleyball team will be back in action as they travel to Lynchburg, Virginia for the Liberty Tournament. They will take on USC-Upstate today and Howard and Liberty tomorrow. The Liberty game will have live video on the Big South Network. So far UNCG is 2-1 on the season after last weekend's tournament in Charlotte. The Spartans defeated Sacramento State and Morgan State, but lost to Charlotte.
That's all I've got for today. I've been working on some new stuff for the site that I hope to get unveiled in the next week. Plus, I hope to get all the new schedules posted this weekend. Keep checking back. Thanks.