|Posted by Dash on October 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM||comments (0)|
With the fall sports all hitting about the mid point of the conference season, I thought I'd recap where everyone is and how things are setting up for the end of the season. Tonight I will start with volleyball.
UNCG's volleyball team dropped it's first home match of the season on Friday night to Samford. When the Bulldogs took the first set, it was the first one that the Spartans had dropped at Fleming Gym. The team fought back to win the 3rd set and was leading in the fourth before finally falling. G did rebound on Saturday night and take down the Citadel in straight sets. For the year, UNCG is 11-8 and 3-3 in the Southern Conference. The Spartans will host Wofford (Oct 18 ) and Western Carolina (Oct 21) before heading back out on the road.
Current SoCon Standings
1. Samford (6-0)
2. Furman (5-0)
3. Chattanooga (4-2)
4. UNCG (3-3)
T5. Wofford (2-3)
T5. ETSU (2-3)
T7. Western Carolina (1-4)
T7. Mercer (1-4)
9. Citadel (0-5)
|Posted by Dash on September 28, 2014 at 9:45 PM||comments (0)|
This past weekend marked the start of conference play for UNCG's fall sports. Let's take a look at how things went for the teams.
- The Women's soccer team went undefeated in a pair of road games to start the season. On Friday the team earned a 1-1 draw at Mercer. On Sunday and Spartans scored 4 second half goals to cruise past the Citadel in Charleston. Sunday's victory now puts UNCG above the 0.500 mark for the season at 5-4-3 (1-0-1 SoCon). Chesney White is the current SoCon women's soccer Player of the Week.
- The UNCG volleyball team went 2-0 this past weekend only dropping 1 set in road wins at Western Carolina and Mercer. The victories raise UNCG's record to 9-5 (2-0 SoCon) for the season. The team will continue it's 4 game road swing with matches at ETSU and Furman this coming weekend. UNCG will be hosting this year's SoCon volleyball tournament.
By the way, I'm not sure how many of you are taking advantage of watching these other sports on the SoCon Digital Network, but it's a wonderful (and free) platform. As I had been one of the people begging for this service, I highly advise everyone to check it out. Until next time ... Go Spartans !!!
|Posted by Dash on September 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM||comments (0)|
The UNCG volleyball team continued their great start to the year by going 3-0 over the weekend (the games weren't really very close) to win the Spartan-Aggie Invitational on Saturday night. UNCG didn't even drop a single set. The team now sits at 7-2 and has only dropped 10 total sets in 9 matches.
UNCG will play at High Point on Tuesday before traveling to Miami to play Missouri and the host Hurricanes in the Hurricane Challenge this weekend. After that, SoCon play begins.
|Posted by Dash on September 8, 2014 at 10:40 PM||comments (2)|
Better late than never for this weekend's recap. Let's get to it.
- The Spartan volleyball had another 2-1 weekend at the Liberty Tournament. They defeated USC-Upstate on Friday and Howard on Saturday. They had the host Flames down 2 sets to none before falling in 5 sets. The team will co-host a tournament this weekend with cross town rival NC A&T.
- The men's soccer team continued their slide, falling to James Madison 1-0. Defense again was the sore spot for the Spartans. The team will host #20 Charlotte tomorrow at 7 pm. There will be live video of the game.
- The women's team went 0-1-1 this past weekend. They earned a 2-2 draw with Indiana State on Friday. Chesney White scored both goals. On Sunday #13 West Virginia out shot UNCG 30-0 and won the contest 2-0. With their record sitting at 2-3-1 for the season, UNCG will host ECU and NC State this coming weekend. We'll have more about that on Friday.
I'm still trying to figure out what to make of the men's basketball staff news this week. I'm hoping to find out more in the coming days. Until then, have a great week.